Zita's Little World

Just a random series of thoughts that run through my head.

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Second Chances

I must admit, I have been truly lucky in my life. I have made a stupendous amount of mistakes- some larger than others- and have always been able to pick up the pieces and move on. In fact, I'm grateful for most the mistakes that I've made since they've allowed me to frame who I am, meet new people and try new things, all while fixing what I can and learning from what I can't fix. Anyway, today is one of those days where a really unexpected second chance has arisen.

I got a call from a friend today- a friend that I have not been a good friend to for several months. In my defense, that was a bit of a two way street- but that's all in the past and not worth rehashing. Neither or us is perfect...I suppose that in friendship you have to learn to accept each other faults and all.

Anyway, this friend called for the sole purpose of apologizing. Wow- I was pretty speechless. The best part was being given a chance to apologize as well. Closure and new beginnings. How exciting!

Apologizing is an amazing thing- it can never unmake the wrongs of the past- and it's not intended to. But it does allow you to shed your pride and allow yourself the possibility of rectifying those wrongs. Making amends may not erase the past but it does allow you to learn from it. Truely, the most beautiful thing is to not have committed the wrong in the first place, but since that is sometimes inevitable, the second best thing is a true and sincere apology.

Getting back to the conversation at hand- You see, the thing is, there have been moments where I have wondered if I'd ever quite meet anyone else like her- and now I'm convinced that I won't. While our friendship may never be what it was- there's no reason why it can't be just as strong! New directions are always exciting!

I am SO grateful for today's conversation; I am so excited to see her again; and I am so happy that, even when it seems like nothing is great, life has a wonderful way of fixing everything.

I wish I could take back some of the awfulness that went on- but since I can't, I'm just glad to have a second chance at a one-of-a-kind friendship, with a one-of-a-kind girl (faults and all! :) )


Feeling great.

Zita

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home