Zita's Little World

Just a random series of thoughts that run through my head.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Best Night Of My LIfe

So yesterday was our one year anniversary, for whatever that's worth! And it was hands down the best day I can remember ever having. But it happened in a way that only seems possible to Jason and I. Man, weird things happen to us. As Krystal would say, what do you expect when two random people start dating? Random things happen to them!

Jason had bought hockey tickets for last night. He did so before he realized that this would be one year since Wake, and therefore one year since we had gotten together. That being said, i certainly have no issue hitting up a hockey game with him. Hockey seems to be a big part of our relationship together. So we decided that the night would consist of a nice dinner, a hockey game and some alone time together at home. Pretty simple, not formal or fancy but a wonderful plan!

Jason told me that the game started at eight, so I made reservations at the Old Spaghetti Factory for six-fifteen. He picked me up at my place and gave me a present- a wonderful stuffy named Mr. Floppy that has figured into more than one of our inside jokes! It was the sweetest thing ever...We got to the restaurant just in time, ordered our meals, some mozza sticks (they have the best!) and a bottle of wine. Just as we received our appetizers and were finishing our first glasses of wine, Jason thought he would check the game time on the tickets one more time...he had gotten a text message from a friend of ours saying have fun at the game several hours before we thought it started. This made him a little nervous, so he pulled out the tickets and lo and behold! The tickets said the game started at 6pm. we checked the date to make sure that they were the right tickets, but in fact, in black and white it said that the October 28th game against the Capitals commenced at 6pm. We checked our watches and realized that it was almost seven. Jason smiled at me and said that it didn't matter. We would miss the game and just enjoy our dinner together. But his eyes looked so sad that I knew I had to do some.

I called our waitress over and asked her if it was possible to package up our meals and have them kept for us for later. I knew they would never let us into the arena with food so it was the second best thing. She was a little confused but agreed to do it. Don't worry, we left her a great tip! I told Jason that we would probably miss the first two periods, but we would make it there in time for the third...again, not ideal but good nonetheless. He lit up- he was so happy that I had found a way to go to the game anyway...

So we cleared off our meals and tried calling a cab. Sadly, we couldn't get through to ANYONE!!! Now, we aren't clever enough to figure out that the LRT would likely take us there in the same amount of time, so I did the last thing I could think of. Earlier that night, our friend Miles called us to wish us a happy anniversary. Since we have such wonderful friends, i knew that I could call him and he would drive all the way downtown in the crappy weather just to get us to the game! (Don't worry, we're getting him something nice!) So we waited outside for Miles and stood in the snow for a while. I realized that I gave him the wrong address so we called him back. He was lost! He told us that he'd meet us on Jasper ave since it would be easier that way. So, hand in hand, Jason and I ran down the block in the snow to meet up with him. When we finally did, I cut off Miles since I was so rushed to get Jason to the game in time!

It's important to say here that most people would be upset. But that was the miracle of last night. Both jason and I were in such good moods that we decided to just make the best of everything and see the humour in the night! We laughed the whole time! We climbed into miles' little car and set off towards Rexall. (Once again, I'd like to mention how wonderful Miles is!) To make sure that jason missed as little of the game as possible, I asked that we turn on the radio so we could catch the play by play on 630 ched. It appeared at first that were in an intermission; the announcer was talking about the two teams...it took us a while to realize that we still hadn't heard a score, or how either of the teams was actually playing. Jason commented that it was very strange: it seemed like the game hadn't even started. I laughed and said "wouldn't it be funny if the game was actually at eight afterall???" We all laughed at how unlikely that would be...until I pointed out the heavy traffic heading towards the arena...It was so dense that Miles asked if he could just drop us off at the corner just shy of the center. We, of course, agreed and thanked him profusely! And we were on our way to watch some serious hockey!!! Time at this point: 7:30.

While we waited for the lights to change on the street corner, I decided to ask another couple, both wearing hockey jerseys, if they were going to the game. They answered that they sure were...I hesitated for a second and asked them what time the game started at. They looked a little confused and answered eight. Jason and I burst out laughing and told them our story! I also had to call Miles to let him know...as any great friend would be, he was equally amused! He was just happy that he'd been able to help us out.

Unable to believe our luck so far, Jason and I made our way to our seats...the bleediest of the nose bleed sections! We were so far up, I got vertigo! But it was a great section! Everyone was rowdy and happy and into the game. It was great. While watching the play, Jason and I talked endlessly about how wonderful it was to be together. I have never felt closer to him or more in love. Of course, each sentence would be paused if ever something exciting happened. Three 20 ounce beers and 4 oiler goals later, the game was over. Final score: Four-Zero for the home team! I looked over at Jason and told him that the Oilers won just for us...they had to keep our night as perfect as it already was.

So we left the stadium for the LRT station, and Jason wondered if it was possible that the restaurant would still be open. I told him it was unlikely since it was past 10:30...most restaurants downtown close at 10. We thought we'd call any way, and decided that no matter what, we would be happy even if we didn't get our food at all...To our great surprise, the phone was answered by the manager who said that the restaurant was indeed closed. However, he also said that he would be there for a while cleaning up, and if we made it there quickly he would wait to make sure we got our meals!!! So we jumped the train and headed back downtown. On the train, we started talking again about how happy we are together, and were so disgustingly enthralled with each other that we missed our stop! Thankfully, the downtown LRT stations are ridiculously close so we got off at the next stop and walked the six blocks to the restaurant. It was quite cold out, but beautiful nonetheless. It was snowing, which is my favorite weather, and I had mentioned earlier how much I wanted to take a wake in the snow later if we had time. Turns out the walk in the snow found us, and time wasn't an issue. It was beautiful and romantic and wonderful! I fell on the ice in front of some people and felt a little embarassed but we couldn't stop laughing and absolutely nothing could damper my spirits at that point.

We got to the restaurant and were greeted by some of the staff. We picked up our food, explained what had happened and shared another good laugh with them. On our way out the door, the manager called out to us "Happy Anniversary". And so far, it certaily was!

We were going to cab home, but again there were no cabs to be had so decided to just LRT again. The train came almost instantly, just as the last one had, and, upon arrival at the University station, our bus was already waiting for us. It was perfect timing- just another small detail that made everything that much greater. We got off at the stop nearest my place- right in front of the H20 and I remembered that a friend had asked me to stop by to see her since it had been a long while. I asked Jason if he minded if we popped in for a quick drink and he smiled and said that he would like to hear me sing.

We said hello to a few of my friends and grabbed a table all by ourselves in the back. If the H20 could ever be considered romantic, it was last night. We were so lost in our own world that the waitress had to ask us twice if we wanted another drink. We had a few, including some tequilla shots and I sang for him. I picked a grossly girly, ridiculously sappy one that happened to hold some meaning for both of us, and it was great! Then, House, the host, sang Eric Clapton's 'Wonderful Tonight', which we've decided is definately our song. We danced together, alone in the back. At one point Jason looked so happy that he got teary.

We talked for hours again, and decided that somehow, for some reason, we work. Everything about us seems right. It took us a long time to get here, but now that we are there's nowhere else we'd rather be. We talked about the future, about what we want...and it was always a "we". If I didn't know it before, I know now: I will spend the rest of my life with this man. And, i think maybe for the first time, he knew it too. All we can talk about now is how awesome forever is going to be, now that we know the other one will be in it.

I couldn't have asked for a more wonderful night. I couldn't ask for a better person to spend my life with. I have never been happier. All the stars aligned for us last night, and we found ways to make each imperfection perfect! I am so in love I feel like my heart is going to explode.

This year could have been the worst of my life- there were more than my fair share of obstacles. But it has actually been the best, and hopefully was the first of many more years like it.

Happy anniversary, Mr. Fuzzy Face. Je t'aime.

Zita


Wonderful Tonight- Eric Clapton
It's late in the evening; she's wondering what clothes to wear.
She puts on her make-up and brushes her long blonde hair.
And then she asks me, "Do I look all right?"
And I say, "Yes, you look wonderful tonight."

We go to a party and everyone turns to see
This beautiful lady that's walking around with me.
And then she asks me, "Do you feel all right?"
And I say, "Yes, I feel wonderful tonight."

I feel wonderful because I see
The love light in your eyes.
And the wonder of it all
Is that you just don't realize how much I love you.

It's time to go home now and I've got an aching head,
So I give her the car keys and she helps me to bed.
And then I tell her, as I turn out the light,
I say, "My darling, you were wonderful tonight.
Oh my darling, you were wonderful tonight."

1 Comments:

  • At 6:11 PM, October 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Zita,

    Haven't talked to you in maybe a year. Just thought I should wish you a (late) happy anniversary! It's great to read that everything is working out so well after, what seemed to me at least, a string of very bad news.

    - Mustafa Hirji

     

Post a Comment

<< Home